Friday, January 15, 2016

Expectations

~Tracy Frederick


It is the beginning of another semester and I am in my 26th year of teaching. I have learned that although students change, they always stay the same. Every semester…yep every semester…when I ask them to send me their “concerns” for the class- so I know their anxieties, they have- they never failed to tell me that my reputation as a “tough teacher” precedes me, or “I hear that this class is very hard.” And every semester I pause before I respond. My first thought is: Of course I am “hard,” this is education! Or “Yes, this class is hard, if it weren’t why take it?!” …sigh… but their expectations for classes are always the same- it should be easy and I shouldn’t have such high expectations of them.

So, when I started reading them again this semester, I began to think about my own spirituality…and others. I realized how often I have thought the same thing of my Father: I have become upset and frustrated when the Christian walk is “hard” or discouragement hits me and I fall to my knees, or when I would like for Him to just “overlook” a sin.

I always respond to my student’s concerns about the class with: “Yes, it will be hard, but you can do it. You will learn a lot and if you follow the detailed instructions- offered for every assignment- and ask for help. I will do all that I can to help you succeed. I will model all speeches for you to offer you a real-life example.” And this seems to make them feel better…until the semester gets a little tough and I have to remind them again that I am here to help, to encourage and to offer instructions on how to succeed.

Yep, it is difficult to admit that I am not much better than those young people that I teach. I don’t know if you are like I am, but this morning as I was reading through the concerns, my mind drifted to the great encouragement that my Savior provided for me, to remind me that if it will NEVER be “easy” …it WILL be hard….So I need to stop expecting it to be differnt; to stop expecting it to be easy and just read the detailed instructions, ask for help and look to my Master Teacher who provides all I need to succeed.

John 15: 18-19 I
f the world hates you, you know that it hated me before it hated you. If you were of the world, the world would love his own: but because you are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hates you.

Romans 5:3-5 And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; and perseverance, character; and character, hope. Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us.

Romans 8:18 For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.

Philippians 4:12-13 I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

James 1:2 My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, 3 knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience.

James 1:12 Blessed is the man who endures temptation; for when he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him.

Romans 5:3-5 And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; and perseverance, character; and character, hope. Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us.

Romans 8:18 For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us.

Philippians 4:12-13 I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

I John 2:6: Whoever says he abides in Him ought himself to walk in the same manner as He walked.

2 Corinthians 4:8-9
We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed

Psalms 23:4
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death ,I will fear no evil; For You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.

Psalms 34:17-1
8 The righteous cry out, and the Lord hears, And delivers them out of all their troubles.The Lord is near to those who have a broken heart, And saves such as have a contrite spirit

2 Corinthians 10:3-5 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh. For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ.

Psalms 34:19 Many are the afflictions of the righteous, But the Lord delivers him out of them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment