Thursday, November 5, 2015

A Sigh.....

~Tracy Frederick 

I'm reading the accounts our Lord's life on this earth. Philippians 2: 1-8 never fails to draw a tear from my eye...just thinking about it has me tearing up now...and  I can’t help but be overwhelmed with the difficult life our Savior had while He humbled himself to living among us, His creation that rejected Him.  So, I sift through the passages that describe His patience, kindness, compassion and there is one verse that just won’t let go of my heart....it just won’t go away:  “But He sighed deeply in His spirit, and said, “Why does this generation seek a sign? Assuredly, I say to you, no sign shall be given to this generation.” Mark 8:12. I' ve read this passage before. I've even heard it taught in a verse-by-verse study in a Bible class, but I never caught the beginning of this verse like I did this time. Did you catch it? Read it again. It says: “But He sighed deeply in His Spirit…” The previous verses explain that the Pharisees were seeking a sign from heaven to test Him, to catch Him in a trap. You see, He had just fed four thousand people with seven loaves and a few fish.  Wouldn’t that have been enough? Really? They needed more? He had healed countless people, had relieved the mentally tormented from demons and had asked for nothing in return.  

So, I can't help but think about me...about us..... We go throughout our busy day and when troubles arise, we petition our Father for help with financial problems, physical ailments  diseases that plague our dying bodies, beg for our loved ones to be healed and petition for His mercies when we fail Him...again...and again...and again....sigh.  We lean on Him and He is there to comfort and offer hope....sigh..... I wonder however, as I watch so many rejoice in the blessings the Father has showered down on us and how we too often fail to fulfill our commitment to Him. I think about how we struggle to accept ALL of His word and I hear myself sighing....I think about how we fail to see  all of the blessings ...sigh....I then wonder why we still  struggle to believe. I mean, really believe...sigh.... not just conform when it is easy and convenient, not just when we need a favor and then forget our belief when all is well. I think about all of the signs that we have been given and we still ask Him to prove Himself.....of all of the signs....everyday and I wonder…..is He sighing?

No comments:

Post a Comment