Friday, October 25, 2013

An Opportunity

Tracy Frederick

Some days can just be a little harder than others, can’t they? Some days it just takes more effort that others doesn’t it? Some days it feels as if it just doesn’t matter, doesn’t it? Perhaps it is because we are physically weary from the day to day grind of this world, or perhaps it is because the burdens seem just a little heavier at times and our spiritual examples are…well…turn out to be not so spiritual after all? There are a host of reasons why some days it is tempting to just sit and hide from the world; to hunker down and neglect the work that has been set before us.  Then that little verse nags, it itches doesn’t it? And won’t let go, no matter how hard we try to distract ourselves or ignore it. It is there….you know the one I mean: “And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart.  Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all, especially to those who are of the household of faith”( Gal 6:9-10). The out is “opportunity” right? There are so many excuses for not having opportunity, right? But…..I bet Christ had other things He could have been doing rather than die for me.  I mean, He was busy…: “…7but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man,he humbled himself and became obedient to death--even death on a cross” (Phil 2:6-8). I bet He was pretty weary after being beaten all night, “A certain man from Cyrene, Simon, the father of Alexander and Rufus, was passing by on his way in from the country, and they forced him to carry the cross” (Mk 15:21) …..I know that Christ was lonely: “He took Peter and Zebedee's two sons with him. Jesus began to be sad and troubled. He said to them, `My heart is very sad. I am almost dying! Stay here and watch with me.'”( Matt 26:37-38). “Then all the disciples left Jesus and ran away” (Mat 26:54b). I am confident that it was difficult for our Creator (Col 1:16) to take that opportunity: “Jesus went on a little further. He bowed down with his face to the ground. He talked to God and said, `My Father, if it can be, let this cup of trouble pass by me. But do not do what I want. May what you want be done.'” (Matt 26: 39).  What if He had was too weary? What if He was too discouraged? What if He had not taken the opportunity?

“Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your labor is not in vain in the Lord.” ! Corinthians 15:58

No comments:

Post a Comment