Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Stop Drop and......PRAY!

~Tracy Frederick

There are just some days that are overwhelming aren’t there? There are days when the hurt and the pain is just too much to bear.  We often sing a familiar song- My Jesus Knows. In that song we encourage each other that our Savior understands our emotional pain and can empathize with our weaknesses and the sufferings we have here on this earth. What a comfort that is to know that “we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but in all points was tempted like we are, but was without sin” Hebrews 4:15. It is the first part that is comforting, but the last that causes me to pause and tremble.  I find that when I am at my most emotional, I am at my most vulnerable. When I am hurting, I am looking for a quick way out. When I am emotional I am less rational and more willing to act without thinking. So, how was our Savior was able to withstand the emotions of hurt when betrayed by a best friend (Mk 14:66-72), the rejection of the world (Mk 15:6-15)? Notice each and every time our Savior was in a difficult situation, an emotional situation, or knew He was about to be, He prayed; He stopped, dropped His head and prayed. We teach our children that to stop themselves from burning, physically, they should stop, drop and roll. We preach it over and over again. I think it is a good idea to teach our children the same to avoid eternal fire- stop, drop and pray. We know that if the Evil One has no qualms about tempting the Lord, (I mean seriously!) he looks upon us as easy prey. Our Savior knew the solution to the temptation- STOP what you are doing NOW! DROP your head and humble yourself, realizing you are the created and need help! PRAY for forgiveness and wisdom to discern what is needful. Such an easy answer to any problem. And the example was there all along.

No comments:

Post a Comment