Thursday, November 15, 2012

So much in a sigh....

~Tracy Frederick

I have been reading about our Lord's life again. I can’t help but be overwhelmed with the difficult life our Savior had while He humbled himself to living among us, His creation that rejected Him.  As I do, there is one verse that just won’t let go of my heart, just won’t go away.  “But He sighed deeply in His spirit, and said, “Why does this generation seek a sign? Assuredly, I say to you, no sign shall be given to this generation.” Mark 8:12. I reread this passage again and again. I had read it many times before, but had never caught the beginning of this verse like I did this time. Did you catch it? It says: “But He sighed deeply in His Spirit…” The previous verses talks about how the Pharisees were seeking a sign from heaven to test Him, to catch Him in a trap. You see, He had just fed four thousand people with seven loaves and a few fish.  Wouldn’t that have been enough? Really? They needed more? He had healed countless people, had relieved the mentally tormented from demons and had asked for nothing in return.  I think about my own life and others. We go throughout our busy day and when troubles arise, we petition our Father for help when financial problems arise, physical ailments and diseases plague our dying bodies, beg for our loved ones to be healed and petition for His mercies.  We lean on Him and He is there to comfort and offer hope. I wonder however, as I watch so many rejoice in the blessings the Father has showered down on us and how we too often fail to fulfill our commitment to Him. I think about how we struggle to accept ALL of His word and even through all of the blessings, struggle to believe. I mean, really believe, believe enough to obey with our whole heart, not just conform when it is easy and convenient, not just when we need a favor and then forget our belief when all is well. I think of all of the signs He has given us everyday and how we are so reluctant to conform to His will and I wonder…..is He sighing?

No comments:

Post a Comment