Monday, November 19, 2012

REAL Thanksgiving...

~Tracy Frederick

I have been thinking a lot about the Biblical accounts in which people suffered for the cause of Christ. The apostles  were run out of towns, threatened and persecuted by their own families. John the Baptist was beheaded for speaking out against the adulterous situation in which the king was living. And we cannot forget our brothers and sisters who lost their lives in horrible acts of persecution when they were tortured and died for the cause of Christ. They saw their spouses and children die in front of them as they were offered their lives in exchange for renouncing their Savior. It is hard to imagine as I sit in my comfortable chair after enjoying a good breakfast of my choosing, and am struggling with the decision as to which pies to serve for Thanksgiving. I am, I admit, a little ashamed in my bounty. I have much to be thankful for, but I am thankful for my my easy life without hardships and persecutions. That gives me pause to remember those who were thankful in their times of hardships. I can't imagine the suffering my brothers and sisters endured. I am even more humbled by their thanksgiving for the suffering they went through as they looked toward the glories that this life cannot even compare. "Beloved, do not think it strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened to you; but rejoice to the extent that you partake of Christ’s sufferings, that when His glory is revealed, you may also be glad with exceeding joy" I Peter 4:12-13. I hope we teach our children the meaning of rejoicing and what exceeding joy really is. That is, I hope we teach them what REAL thankfulness is.

No comments:

Post a Comment