Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Living Letters

~Tracy Frederick

Have you noticed how letter writing has become a lost art? There are a couple of sisters who write the best letters/cards. I have kept them in a special box and take them out from time to time to reread them. I wish I could write like that, with such sweetness and eloquence. I admit that I am intimidated to send them letters in embarrassment of how I stumble over my words. However, I was reading in the letter from our brother, Paul today to the brethren at Corinth, it was his second letter to them. I took a pause over a few verses that really made me think: “You are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read by all men; clearly you are an epistle of Christ, ministered by us, written not with ink but by the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of flesh, that is, of the heart” (II Cor 3:2-3). He writes this about the people in the church there because he says in the previous verses that he needs no letter of recommendation, because those he has taught are living letters of his teaching and of God (v. 4-6). I never thought of it that way- that I am a “living letter.” But, yeah, I am. It is a sobering thought to consider that I am a letter to the world who is reading about God and my Savior, Jesus the Christ. Have you considered what they are learning about the Father and His Son as they read you? Are they getting a letter from the Father? or are they seeing the same magazine articles they can get in any popular magazine ad or tabloid? The idea that I am a living letter to others who are reading my life is a sobering thought my sisters. Perhaps we need to get to editing and rewriting, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment