Monday, September 3, 2012

What if....

~Tracy Frederick

For many of us, the future always seems to hold the answers. We consider the situations of the present and dream about the ease and the good times ahead.  The good times are always ahead, right? Or perhaps with just a little changes, they could be, I mean, “what if…” : What if the house were paid off? We could do so much with that money for a vacation, college funds for the kids, or: What if I had just a few extra hours in the day? I could relax more; I could sleep a little later. The possibilities of “what if” are endless, right?  Unfortunately, they aren’t. Our God has allowed us to choose “what if.”  ("Thus says the Lord: “Behold, I set before you the way of life and the way of death." Jeremiah 21:8. ) For all of us moms, aunts, sisters, grandmothers, mother in laws, there are a few “what if’s” that I hope we will consider today, as we contemplate the choices we make today determine what the future holds:
What if… my child is on the school honor roll, but doesn’t know the books of the Bible?
What if… my child does all of her homework each night for hours, but doesn’t spend time with her Lord each night?

What if…my child wins the school AR reading awards, but has never opened his Bible to read about the love of his God?

What if…my child wins countless awards for swimming, softball, football, etc. but fails to understand the importance of Matthew 6:33 and suffers in poverty and want forever?

What if…my child is the most popular child in school, but spends his lifetime in emotional loneliness  because he does not understand the sacrificial love his God gave for him alone?
What if…my child knows the best study habits to make a high score on the ACT/SAT, final, etc., but doesn’t know God’s plan for salvation?
What if…my child has a built-in GPS in his car so he will never get lost while traveling, but doesn’t know the way to heaven?
What if…my child gets a full ride/full scholarship to the college of her choice, but does not understand the importance of the Lord’s church?
What if…my child gains the whole world, but loses his soul? (Mk 8:36)
What if?

No comments:

Post a Comment